Birthday parties, Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas, and more are holidays and special occasions that are centered on food. For most people these are times to anticipate the celebration and the eating. For a diabetic it can be a stressful time, you want to partake in all the good food too but most times it is not made with a diabetic in mind. If the frequency of these events is not too often; you can adjust your diet for special occasions so, you too can have some of the treats available.
The hardest part about preparing for a special occasion is if you do not know what is going to be served. If this is the case, a quick call to your host or hostess can be made. Most people will not mind you asking especially if you have dietary needs that need to be taken into consideration. Once you do know what is being served, plan your meals for that day accordingly. You may want to have fewer carbohydrates with your breakfast and snack to make up for the extra ones you will have at a birthday party where pizza is being served.
Another option for special occasions is to offer to bring a dish for everyone to share. Make it something that you enjoy as a treat but still follows the guidelines for your diabetic diet.
For family favorites and traditions, be creative and look for ways to make the same dishes with less fat or sugar. You can do this by substituting regular sugar for sugar substitutes or choose whole wheat flour instead of white for the extra fiber content.
During the holidays and other occasions, closely monitor your blood sugars. Even with extra care, the change in your diet can still result in a blood sugar that is too high or low.
Here are some diabetic cookbooks to help you plan that meal:
- Diabetic Cookbook for the Newly Diagnosed: 500 Simple and Easy Recipes for Balanced Meals and Healthy Living (21 Day Meal Plan Included) https://amzn.to/2JmMerT
- The Complete Diabetes Cookbook: The Healthy Way to Eat the Foods You Love (The Complete ATK Cookbook Series) https://amzn.to/39s14Z4
- Diabetic Cookbook and Meal Plan for the Newly Diagnosed: A 4-Week Introductory Guide to Manage Type 2 Diabetes https://amzn.to/33u8erT
- Betty Crocker Diabetes Cookbook: Great-tasting, Easy Recipes for Every Day (Betty Crocker Cooking) https://amzn.to/2KRt3XK
- Diabetic Dessert Cookbook: Quick and Easy Diabetic Desserts, Bread, Cookies and Snacks Recipes. Enjoy Keto, Low Carb and Gluten Free Desserts. (Diabetic and Pre-Diabetic Cookbook) https://amzn.to/33pFBMc
#holidaydinners #ketodiet #diabetes #diabetesdinner #diabeticfood #diabetes #diabetic #type #diabetestype #diabeticfriendly #healthyfood #diabeticrecipes #diabeticlife #diabeticos #diabetics #keto #diabetesdiet #diabetesawareness #diabeticmeals #diabeticdiet #diabetico #diabeteslife #diabetestipo #cleaneating #diabetictype #diabeticproblems #eatclean #t #foodgasm #cateringdiabetes #lowcarb #makanansehat #diabetescommunity #bhfyp